Welcome to the PantherMail Answers center. Here, you will find quick answers to common questions.
If you need more in-depth help, you can browse the PantherMail Advanced Client help files
You can also browse the PantherMail Standard Client help files
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I change my password?
- Goto ezreset.eiu.edu and follow the instructions
- OR contact the ITS Help Desk at 581-HELP
How can I forward all incoming email to a different email account?
- goto Options, and select the Mail tab
- Next to Address to forward mail to, put in the email address you want to forward to
- Next to Don't keep a local copy of messages, select the check box
- Click Save near the top of the web page
I have been gone for a long time and now have thousands of messages in
my Inbox, I would like to have them all deleted. Is there someone I can
contact to have that done?
- Yes, contact the Help Desk at 581-HELP. Be aware that ALL messages in your inbox will be deleted if you do this
How can I set up a Distribution List?
- Until February 24, 2007, your option for a Distribution List is:
- select the Address Book tab
- Click New near the top of the web page
- In the Last field, put in the name you want for the list
- In the Email field, put in the email addresses you want in your
list separated by a semi-colon. ie:
Starting February 24, 2007, Distribution Lists will be called Contact Groups. You can create them by:
- Select the Address Book tab
- Click the Down Arrow next to New and choose Contact Group
- In the Group Name field, put a name in for the group
- Enter email addresses on separate lines in the box under Group Members, or:
- search for email addresses in your Address Book and choose the
mail address you want and choose Add near the bottom of the screen
How much server space do I have for email?
- Until February 24, 2007, mouse over the bar next to Quota at the top right of the web page to find out
- Starting February 24, 2007, your Quota information will still be
at the top right of the web page, but will instead be typed out
Do I have to use the Panthermail Web interface?
- Panthermail supports "thick" clients such as Outlook, Outlook
Express, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, and Eudora. It is preferred that you
use Panthermail web, but not required. If you do use a thick client, it
is recommended that you configure it using the IMAP protocol instead of
the POP protocol. The server settings for thick clients are as
- Incoming server (IMAP) - imap.eiu.edu
- Incoming server (POP) - pop.eiu.edu
- Outgoing Server (SMTP) - smtp.eiu.edu
How can I set up messages marked as [Spam] to go to the Junk folder by default?
- See the Help Documentation on how to set up Mail Filters and
filter for subject containing [Spam] to send to the Junk Folder(be sure
to test your filters after you set them up)
How do I logout?
- Until February 24, 2007, the logout button is the bottom tab on the left side of the Panthermail web page
- After February 24, 2007, the logout button will be located near
the top right of the Pantermail web page labeled with the words "Log
Why does the Advanced interface take so long to log into?
- Panthermail Advanced loads an entire application onto your
computer every time you log in. This application is what gives you the
capability to right-click within the web-page, drag mail between
folders, have a fully functional calendar, and many other features. If
your web browser is configured to clear cache every time a page loads,
the application will have to download every time you log in. If the
application does not have to be loaded every time, then login should
take anywhere between 7-15 seconds. If this login time is too slow for
you then it is recommended you use Panthermail Basic when it becomes
available on February 24, 2007.
How can I change the number of messages displayed per page?
- In Options, select the Mail tab.
- Next to "Number of items to display per page" click the drop down arrow and choose between 10, 25, 50, and 100.
How do I empty my Trash folder?
- Right click on the trash folder(Control-Click if using a Mac)
- Select "Empty Trash"
I am using Internet Explorer 7 and when I login, the screen stays blank
and says "Done" at the bottom left of the screen. What do I need to do?
You have two options here:
- Empty your Temporary Internet Files
- goto Tools, Internet Options
- In the Browsing History section under the General Tab, click the Delete Button
- In the new Window that opens, click the Delete Files button in the Temporary Internet Files section
- Click Yes when asked if you are sure you want to delete all temporary Internet Explorer Files
- Click Close
- Click OK
- Click the refresh button on your browser
- login to Panthermail
- Set up Internet Explorer 7 to clear Temporary Internet Files each time you close Internet Explorer
- goto Tools, Internet Options
- Select the Advanced tab
- Scroll down to the Security section
- Check the box next to "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"
- Click OK
- Close Internet Explorer and open it back up
- Goto www.eiu.edu/panthermail and login
I go by my middle name, but Panthermail uses my first name. Is there a
way to have mail sent so my middle name(or other name) is used?
- After February 24, 2007, this can be done by going to Mail
Identities in the Options tab. In the section titled "Send messages
with this identity," change the name next to the "From:" field to the
name you would like people receiving mail from you to see. Be aware
that this is not the same as having your name officially changed, and
all other documentation at EIU will still use what was originally in